Saturday, August 18, 2012

Artists you Might not have heard of but need to hear: Sons of Bill

I love discovering undiscovered talent.  Sons of Bill isn't a new group by any means, but they have yet to receive the acclaim and success that I think they deserve.
Hailing from Charlottesville, Virginia these brothers take their band name from their father Bill Wilson.  Band members include brothers James, Sam, and Abe Wilson, Seth Green, and Todd Wellons.  The youngest brother Luke is not in the band, but is a great talent in his own right and he is TRULY undiscovered.  SOB funded their latest record Sirens through Kickstarter and made it happen.  I wish I knew about them then as I would surely have contributed (especially to get some the awesome stuff they were offering to contributors like signed vinyl and live concerts in your house!)

The signer James has a low voice with a beautiful tone.
James Wilson
Sam Wilson
The guitarist Sam is excellent and on some solos reminds me a LOT of  Mark Knopfler of Dire Straights fame.   I suspect they were all metal heads at one time because you can find them doing an excellent cover of my favorite Metallica song Fade to Black.  The keyboardist is also very good and sings very well.  In any case, I will forever tell everyone who loves good music, specifically alt country and straight rock and roll, about the great talent in this band.  Without further ado, here is Sons of Bill:

Virginia Calling (Live on WNRN): Watch Virginia Calling
I can't get this song out of my head, and I suspect it is about their home state or a lost love named Virginia
Best lyric "Sometimes is makes you wonder, all you lose and all you gain, with your conscience cocked to hear the thunder, but boy your just standing in the rain"

Santa Ana Winds: Watch Santa Ana Winds
This is SOB doing straight forward rock and roll.  According to them the song is about arson in Los Angeles because "when we sing about other states we only sing about burning them down."
Best lyric "There ain't no skating by, cause were all gonna die, no matter what the plastic surgeon told you"

Siren Song (Live on WNRN): Siren Song
A beautiful song about music fame
Best lyric "And your heart it screams to belong, but we live and die as we dream all along"
SOB in their Younger Days 


No comments: