Thursday, August 23, 2012

Oh Canada!

Ok so it is long past the time I paid homage to our surely neighbors in the great white north:
Below are 5 songs from Candian artists I think that you should hear right now.  Some are old, some are new "ish."  Did you know that the Government of Canada MANDATES that a certain % of songs played on the radio up there are Canadian?  Crazy Eh?  Eh?   Eehh?  Ok grab your Molson Ice and strangely shaped breakfast bacon and enjoy!

City and Colour is simple and beautiful.  "The Girl" is a timeless song that is as eloquent as it is benign.

Dallas Green, the lead singer, has a sweet voice that will make almost anyone pause and listen. So check out

#1) "The Girl" by City and Colour.  Best Lyric "I wish I could do better by you 'cause that's what you deserve"




#2) "At the End of the Day" by Doug Paisley. Best Lyric "See the sunlight combed on the shapes at the Fray"  Doug is a great singer that never has to force a note.  Check out the insanely good vocals at 2:37 of this:

#3)"A Case of You" by Joni Mitchell.  Best Lyric "Part of you pours out of me in these lines from time to time"  My mom saw her on TV before she was famous and still tone deaf.  Now she is an Icon.


#4)"Suzanne" by Leonard Cohen.  Best Lyric "For you have touched her perfect body with your mind".  L. Cohen is bar none one of the best song creators of all time.  He wrote "Hallelujah" which is probably the most covered song ever.  A contemporary of Bob Dylan, I have always liked this guy more.



#5) "Little Boxes (Cover)"by Walk Off the Earth.  Best Lyric not included because they didn't write this one.
WOTE is a Canadian band who found great success covering "Somebody that I used to know" by Gotye.  I suspect the will burn out and break up soon trying to find their next big thing.  That being said, I truly enjoy this performance.  If it hasn't been on Weeds yet it should be!

No comments: