Friday, August 24, 2012

The beautiful and talented  Johanna & Klara Soderberg
If you have never heard of First Aid Kit you are missing out on the most talented sisters I have heard in years.  Johanna & Klara Soderberg began in their mid teenage years covering other artists songs and posting their harmonies to you tube.  They are definitely rooted in American Standards but have an alt. country flair.  Here you can see them when they were very young singing "Tiger Mountain Peasant Song" by The Fleet Foxes in a Swedish forest:
This performance garnered them enough fame to release an actual album called The Big the Black and the Blue.  I respect that they appear to be avowed atheists and you can see this come out in their song Hard Believer.  They attempt to tackle some big themes here in way that I have not seen before musically.  Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins, and Penn Jillette would be proud......
I have a special place in my heart for these two and I think both are highly intelligent and extremely talented.  The last two performances I will post are live from the USA and Sweden Respectively.  The first song is them performing the first single of their new record "The Lion's Roar" called "Emmylou" on Conan.  They give shout out to some of favorite musical couples, specifically Emmylou Harris, Graham Parsons, Johnny Cash, and June Carter.
The last performance is of two famous American Country covers on a Swedish TV program.  I have gathered that the Swedes are fans of American country from watching some other Swedish artists such as the sublime artist the Tallest Man on Earth.  I love the fashion showcased on this clip by both the sisters and the audience.  If this were an American performance I would have guessed that it was not 2012 but instead 1973.  Enjoy!
You can purchase these shirts on their website :)


No comments: