Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Why do I like these songs?

Do you ever find yourself liking songs that you probably shouldn't/didn't want to/can't figure out why you do?  Recently a reader challenged me on a previous post and suggested that I find some songs that were "more than the sum of their parts" in terms of musicianship and talent.  Below is my current best effort to formulate my top 5 songs.  Why do I listen to these songs over and over without knowing why?

1) "The Skin of My Yellow Country Teeth" by Clap Your Hands Say Yeah:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKdspWe-KdQ
Why I can't figure out why I love this song but probably know: It reminds me of the Talking Heads.

2) "Stop, I'm Already Dead" by Deadboy and the Elephantmen
Why I can't figure out why I love this song but probably know: It reminds me of The White Stripes at their best with a little more falsetto.

3) "My Baby's got Sauce" by G Love And Special Sauce


Why I can't figure out why I love this song but probably know: It reminds me of the Fall of 1994 at Florida State University and how old I feel right now.

4) "The Sound" by Human Highway: 
Why I can't figure out why I love this song but probably know: The drums help, but it is that hook that keeps me coming back

5) "Alesund" by Sun Kil Moon:
Why I can't figure out why I love this song but probably know: If I had the voice of this man, I would not be a star but I would be making a living off of making people feel something through music.





No comments: